A Way to Say "Thank You"
For many, writing a letter to your donor's family is a helpful way to deal with the wide range of emotions experienced after receiving a transplant.
Infinite Legacy facilitates all correspondence between donor families and recipients and our Family Service Coordinators are always available to assist you with the writing process. We can answer questions, discuss your feelings about taking this step, and help you write your card or letter. If you have questions or concerns, please call us at 410-242-7000 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|To send your letter||To e-mail your letter|
Tips On Writing Your Letter
- Recipients may choose to write to their donor family to tell a little about themselves and the impact donation has had on their lives and the lives of their families. Donor families often welcome and appreciate these details.
- We recommend you do not disclose any identifying or direct contact information until you get a feel for your donor's family and how you feel about corresponding with them. While Infinite Legacy does not restrict this information, we do want to make sure you have considered all of the potential outcomes of making such a disclosure.
- Due to increasing use of social media sites and other online search capabilities, the range of information making you “identifiable” has greatly increased. If you disclose the same information that you have written on a social media page or blog, your recipient may be able to locate you online.
- Prior to sending your letter, Infinite Legacy works closely with other donor programs and transplant centers to ensure donor families are ready for this next step. If we receive feedback that the family is not ready to correspond, we will immediately contact you to let you know. Please be understanding of this decision, and know that we will do the same for you should you ever decide you are not ready for correspondence.
- After your initial letter is written and forwarded to the donor's family, you may feel anxious about what happens next. Although many recipients do hear back from their donor's family, there is no guarantee you will receive a response. Should your donor's family choose not to write to you at this time, please do not take this inaction personally.